Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tax Return

  I have never liked filling the forms for the tax return. I remember the first time, when it was new and exciting, so many years ago. I also remember that feeling being substituted by an incredible boredom and the notion that I would never manage to do it by myself.
  That is the exact feeling that I'm having right now.
  I look at the stack of papers that I have in front of me and the delicious idea of suicide briefly crosses my mind.
  "Would you like some Doritos and a glass of wine, dear?", my wife knows me better than myself. In any other occasion I would have said yes without even letting her finish the sentence.
  "Yes. No. Whatever. Later. I love you.", I say instead, and immediatly feel like an idiot.
  "O.K. Love you too.", she is the best woman in the world.
  I look out of the window, where the sun is shining, kids are playing and couples are holding hands and saying nonsenses to each other. Except this is Belgium and the sky is concrete grey. And except for the fact that from my window I only see a big, dirty, ugly building.
  The mind is an awesome thing.
  There is a box where I have to write my income from last year. I consider throwing some random numbers at it, but instead I shout over my shoulder.
  "This is torture! Do you know where my pay sheets are?!"
  "Under the blue folder to your right!", the voice of Layla is like music to my ears, so I have to repeat the question.
  "Where?!"
  "Blue folder! To your right!"
  "Thanks, love!"
  There is a blue folder to my right, and the papers are underneath it.
  I have to add all the numbers together, though, and my basic math skills have abandoned me. Memories of exams pass through my mind. I can feel the fear in my lips again.
  Thank god for calculators, the inventor should have been made World Hero or something.
  I write the numbers and the box accepts its defeat.
  The kitchen is paradise right now. I take a mouthful of Doritos and wash them down with some wine. I kiss my wife and I suggest watching a movie. To her, I am transparent. She knows what I have in mind. She takes me by the hand and leads me to the bedroom.

No comments: