Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Technologic boredom

« It’s not so bad at the end », I said. 

 The new law just entered into force. “Mobile phones are going to be locked into one single SIM card”. No more free sex with multiple networks. We have to choose one and that’s all. For life. Like those stupid humans who, thousands of years ago, pretended to accept the unacceptable: sleeping with one single woman or man, for their entire life. That is why infidelity turned out to be the most popular disease and killed them all because nobody was able to find a cure. Of course nobody was able to find a cure. Nobody wanted to find a cure, it would have been illogical! Would you find a cure to a disease that actually takes you away from boredom? Away from doing always the same stuff with the same person every single day of your life? No, you would not. 

 The teenaged phone beside me kept on speaking for 01:03:57. I know it because I had set the stopwatch. I had to distract myself. I wanted to start playing “galaxy balls” but I had removed it from the applications folder three days before. I wanted to make a call, but I had lost my SIM card two days before and it hadn’t been replaced yet. I wanted to send an MMS, but then I realized that according to the law I had been thrown in a dark drawer; therefore there was nothing to take a picture of, apart from the blackness around. Well, whatever, I will send it anyway. Shit, I had no number to send it to: SIM card took all with her. So I didn’t do any of the things I had thought of doing and I set the stopwatch instead. How long will it take to get a new SIM card? Maybe a day. Maybe an hour. I am expecting a new one any minute. They come and go these bitches. They are all the same nowadays. They say they want to explore stuff. One minute they are gone, the minute after they are back. It’s such a predictable world. 

 I still remember the day I lost SIM card number-one. I wanted to show her the outside world, so I let her out and died for sometime. When I finally came back to life I realized she was gone and SIM card number-two made her appearance. Looking exactly the same. Accomplishing exactly the same functions. They were perfectly replaceable.. What a comforting truth to discover! So I did not question the reason why my previous SIM card never came back to me. Infidelity? Kidnapping? Death? Immaterial to me. Who cared! She was gone. Fact. I had a replacement soon enough. Fact. Looking exactly the same. Fact. Who cared about the rest? Freedom is not such a bad thing after all. Exploring multiple networks had probably become her new reality. Was it funny? Was it less boring? Funny how, in the exact moment she ran away from boredom, I ran into it, at least for a while. Your freedom is my freedom, they say. Bullshit. The new law just entered into force. Where will she go? Circumstances will force her to accept the assigned network and phone. Was it amusing now? Take that bitch! Two days ago I lost SIM card number-two and now I am dead once more till she’ll be replaced. I look around. I switch off the stopwatch and take a picture of the blackness. Give me a break, what a relief.

No comments: